Friday 4 March 2016

Concepts -

First Few Photoshoot Ideas -

The concept behind my photoshoots is to depict the similarities and differences between men and women; my idea for the project title is 'The Myth of Mars and Venus' which is a borrowed title from the linguist Deborah Cameron who studies language and gender. 

I will be completing photoshoots for four sub-categories within each gender:
  • Rituals
  • Work
  • Myths
  • Inequality

The first photoshoot will be women's rituals. The image will depict: perfume, deodorant, a razor, make-up wipes, scar oil and contraceptive pill packaging. 

I want to display some of the items used by most women on an everyday basis to challenge ideas of gender identity and expectations for different genders. The packaging of the chosen products are stereotypically feminine due to the connotative colour pink. To further challenge ideas of gender stereotypes and conformities I will shoot the products on a blue background, typically  associated with males, to provide ideas of differences and similarities between the genders.

I will then continue experimenting with the different genders and sub-categories to achieve a Schmidt inspired photoshoot series before possibly developing my ideas into a final series that may be inspired by a multitude of photographers and their styles.

Inspiration -

My main inspiration for this series of photoshoots was Phebe Schmidt and her use of bold colours and various items to depict specific ideals such as femininity and masculinity.

Schmidt is a photographer whose work has been featured in a variety of mediums, such as magazines, and her style is strongly reminiscent of print media with the use of bold colours, bold lines and an implicit meaning hidden within the subject of the photographs.

I believe that Schmidt's work often focuses on gender and therefore I was inspired by Schmidt's techniques when addressing similar ideas within my own work.

I also was interested by Sarah Maple and her employment of colour in portraiture to depict similar ideologies to those of Phebe Schmidt but mostly through mediums such as portraiture which are an avenue not explored very often by Schmidt.

No comments:

Post a Comment